Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Wake Up Call

Today as I drag myself through the door to English class after practice, I am greeted with this my poetry essay from uhh what was it two weeks ago or last week? apparently time flies when your having fun. so anyway I get my paper back and look at the grade and am stopped in my tracks.  After I recoved from my initial shock of my grade not looking so hot I, being the competitor that I am, started looking around at the papers of other near me and was astounded by how it seemed that everyone did not quite write up to their ability.  I mean last year when we would do AP writings all that I basically felt that I ever did was try to be straight forward and simply answer the question and would get a 7 or 8, and that's what I felt that I accomplished  on the poetry essay as well, but I guess I was sadly mistaken. After reading the samples, I realized that this year in order to succeed, it is going to take a greater deal of depth that demonstrates an understanding of more than words and devices but the entire landscape  that the words and devices create.  Today even though it was not the most exciting thing that we could have done, I welcomed the HUGE wake up call to what it will take to get to the next level this year.  

1 comment: