Thursday, September 9, 2010

What do you mean I'm stuck for life?

    Lets start off with saying that I hope everyone enjoyed their Monday off and the torrential downpours we got on Tuesday and Wednesday.
    Now on to the business at hand, I found the story "Clothes" very intriguing because it brought up the topic of arranged marriages, and how foreigners view our society.  Since I'm curious does anybody know how the tradition started?   Anyhow besides that while reading this this story, I could not stop thinking about having to get to know a person after you have already committed your life to them. To me having the knowledge in the back of my mind that I have to live with person for the rest of my life, I would feel smothered and restricted in my ability to be myself because I would want to make sure and try to please my spouse in order to eliminate squabbling at home.  Do these people that are in arranged marriages change who they are after marriage just to try and please one another to make the marriage work? If this is true then does that not take away from the whole point of marriage, which is all about two people pledging to be with the very person that they have fallen in love with. 
 I know this is a lame example because it comes from tv but in the show Royal Pains, a doctor is in an arranged marriage and she met her future husband at her engagement and did not feel the excitement that is usually associated with getting engaged and after getting engaged, this doctor treats a patient and they make a connection and so now the doctor is trapped between her heart and her native customs..  Is this trapped feeling common among most couples in arranged marriages?
 I dont know if any of that made sence at all but it was just something that I found contriverisal and interesting, so i decided to ramble about it for awhile. 

2 comments:

  1. haha, i think I can use my parents as a good example of arranged marriages working just fine. Good blog though, I feel like when people take the time to consider all points of view, everyone is enlightened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im not at all sure, and do not quote me on this, but i think arranged marriages began to keep the power of monarchs and other political heads within the family then eventually to ensure that fathers wouldnt have to take care of their daughters when they grew old. Or so men would have women that could cook and clean well. Thats just a guess. It sounds like a good reason.

    ReplyDelete